Orthodontist – Richardson, TX
Get to Know
Tamara L. Jones, DDS, MSD
Dr. Jones has loved orthodontics ever since she was 12 years old! All these years later, she still looks forward to coming to work and helping her patients smile with newfound confidence. Getting to know each child, teen, and adult in her treatment chair on a personal level is a joy, as well as being a positive force in their lives from appointment to appointment. Interested in learning more about her? Just keep reading below.
Why Did You Decide to Become an Orthodontist?
As a kid, Dr. Jones went to a “Girls In Science Day” at Brookhaven Community College, where a local dentist took impressions of the attendees’ teeth. She thought it was the coolest thing she’d ever seen! When she started her own orthodontic treatment, she quickly fell in love with the engineering aspects of the work, even making her very own retainers and headgear out of soldering wire and hot glue. The final push she needed to enter the field was her mentor (the 9th female orthodontist in all of Texas), who taught her how to love and care for patients effectively while changing their smiles.
Where Did You Study Dentistry & Orthodontics?
After graduating from Southern Methodist University as a Hunt Scholar, Dr. Jones took the dental admission test and got the highest score in the country that year! She attended Baylor College of Dentistry-Texas A&M Health Science Center, where she earned her Doctor of Dental Surgery. Shortly after, she chose to pursue orthodontics as her specialty and matched at one of the top programs in the country: The University of Texas at Houston. After 27 months of advanced training, she completed her Master’s and Certificate in Orthodontics.
Today, Dr. Jones’ dental memberships and accolades include the following:
- Certified Invisalign Provider – Diamond Status
- Voted Best of Big D 2018 & 2019 by D Magazine
- DFW Child Mom-Approved Doctor
- Member and Past National Committee Member of the American Academy of Orthodontics
- Recipient, Dr. Kramer Award of Excellence
- Recipient, Top Senior Student Award by American Association of Orthodontics (Baylor)
- Recipient, Thomas F. Burks Scholarship for Academic Merit (UT Health Science Center)
- Recipient, Top Dental Student Award by American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
- Recipient, Joseph E. Johnson Award for Table Clinics (Research presented at AAO National Meeting)
- Textbook Author in the latest edition of Mosby’s Orthodontic Review
- Lecturer at Baylor College of Dentistry Orthodontic Residency Program
- Member of American Dental Association
- Member of Texas Dental Association
Outside of the Office, What Do You Like to Do?
Dr. Jones is happily married to Jason, an army veteran. They have two children named Kenton and Madeline, as well as a Sheepadoodle named Skye. Outside of the practice, you can usually find her spending quality time with her loved ones, baking, swimming, or preparing for her next triathlon.