Dentofacial Orthopedics – Richardson, TX
Orthodontics is not only able to change the position of the teeth, but the underlying bone that supports the teeth as well. This is called dentofacial orthopedics, and it allows Dr. Jones to correct very misaligned bites and save many patients from invasive surgery. In addition to improving someone’s oral function, this kind of treatment can also make the face appear fuller and more symmetrical, dramatically improving someone’s appearance and confidence at the same time. Could you or your child benefit from dentofacial orthopedics in Richardson, TX? To find out, give us a call today to schedule a FREE in-person consultation.
Why Choose Richardson Orthodontics for Dentofacial Orthopedics?
- Non-Invasive Alternative to Corrective Jaw Surgery
- Board-Certified Orthodontist with 16 Years of Experience
- Family-Owned & Operated Practice
What is Dentofacial Orthopedics?
While the name is a mouthful, the concept behind dentofacial orthopedics is relatively simple: if the bones supporting the teeth aren’t in the right position, then the teeth and bite will never be straight. So, dentofacial orthopedics works to correct this by stimulating growth in one of the jawbones so that the bite comes together correctly. This approach can also solve many aesthetic concerns that are beyond the scope of traditional orthodontics (like a pronounced overbite or underbite), saving a patient from having to get a more invasive procedure.
Understanding the Cost of Dentofacial Orthopedics
The cost of dentofacial orthopedics depends on the details of any given case. During your complimentary consultation, our team will be able to discuss specific numbers with you. For combined orthodontia and dentofacial orthopedics, most patients end up paying at least several thousand dollars. We understand that many patients have financial concerns, so we will do all we can to help you afford your treatment.
Factors That Affect the Cost of Dentofacial Orthopedics
The cost of your dentofacial orthopedics depends on several factors, including:
- The type of appliance needed. Dentofacial orthopedics can use a range of different orthopedic devices, some of which cost more than others. The manufacturer of the devices and the materials used can also have a bearing on price.
- The treatment timeline. More complex problems require a longer treatment timeline and more appointments with our team. Therefore, higher costs are to be expected. Failure to comply with treatment instructions can also delay your final results and lead to additional fees.
- Your age. Dentofacial orthopedics is most effective for children because their jawbones are still developing, making it relatively easy to guide their growth. Adult cases are more complex; you might require surgery along with your orthopedic devices, which, of course, will add to the overall cost of your care.
Does Dental Insurance Cover Dentofacial Orthopedics?
Dental insurance policies vary quite a bit when it comes to dentofacial orthopedics. Some might only cover treatment for minors (patients under 18 or 21), while some premium plans might offer coverage for adults as well. Coverage may also depend on the type of orthopedic device that is recommended and other factors.
Our team members are experts at dealing with dental insurance, so you can rely on us to help you navigate your plan. We are even in-network with several major policies. If your insurance will help you pay for dentofacial orthopedics, we will do all we can to help you maximize your benefits and minimize your out-of-pocket costs.
Options for Making Dentofacial Orthopedics Affordable
We do not want our patients to worry unduly about affording necessary care. That is why, in addition to assisting with insurance, we offer a few useful provisions that may make it easier to fit dentofacial orthopedics into your budget:
- A FREE consultation. You can take this important first step on your orthodontic/orthopedic journey for absolutely nothing out of pocket.
- Financing. Our practice is proud to offer in-house financing. Ask our team about how you can apply. If you are approved for a payment plan, you will be able to pay for your treatment over time in manageable monthly installments.
Dentofacial orthopedics can cost a significant amount of money, but we do not want financial concerns to stop you from getting the treatment that you or your child needs in order to enjoy optimum health. Get in touch with our Richardson office today to learn more about how our team may be able to help you afford a healthier, more attractive smile.
Dentofacial Orthopedics FAQs
Dentofacial orthopedics, sometimes called dentofacial ortho, isn’t a field that gets talked about a lot. Therefore, we completely understand if you have questions about what it is and what it can involve. To help you out, we have put together a list of some frequently asked questions about this type of treatment, along with succinct answers. Feel free to give us a call if you do not find the specific information that you were hoping for.
What Kind of Appliances Are Used in Dentofacial Orthopedics?
One of the main goals of dentofacial orthopedics is to correct imbalances in jaw growth. Therefore, the appliances used in it typically promote expansion of either the upper or lower jaw. A few devices that are commonly used in this field include:
- Palatal expanders, which promote growth of the upper jaw.
- Lower jaw expanders, which move the teeth apart to make room in the lower jaw.
- Activators, which move a jaw forward and guide proper eruption of adult teeth.
- Blocks, which use a patient’s natural bite force to move teeth.
- Headgear, which involves the use of devices outside of the mouth that help to address bite and jaw alignment issues.
How Long Does Dentofacial Orthopedic Treatment Take?
During your free consultation, your orthodontist can give you an estimate for how long treatment will take. The timeline typically depends on the severity of the issues needing to be addressed, a patient’s age, and other factors. It may take several months to a few years to successfully complete treatment. That may seem like a long time, but the end results — improved dental health and more proportionate facial aesthetics — are well worth it.
How Much Does Dentofacial Orthopedics Cost?
We can provide you with a cost estimate when you come in for your consultation. Most patients spend at least a few thousand dollars on start-to-finish care. Fortunately, there are provisions available that can make it easier for you to manage the cost of this service. For example, we are an insurance-friendly practice. If your policy covers dentofacial orthopedics, we will be more than happy to guide you through the process of using your benefits. Most patients are also eligible for low-interest financing.
How Does Dentofacial Orthopedic Treatment Differ Between Children and Adults?
Dentofacial ortho for children takes advantage of the fact that young ones’ jaws are still developing. Appliances can guide the growth of the bones so they eventually settle into a functional, proper form. It is different with adults because sometime in the teens or early 20s, the jawbones finish growing. Therefore, older patients may require surgery along with orthodontic treatment to experience optimum results.