Emergency Orthodontist — Richardson, TX
Providing Help When You Need It Most
At Richardson Orthodontics, we understand that orthodontic emergencies can happen at any moment. Whether faced with loose braces or a bracket, or you have severe soft tissue irritation, Dr. Jones, Dr. Hanson and her team can work to remedy the problem and get you back to your daily routine. You should seek emergency care as soon as possible to prevent worsening conditions for your teeth, gums, and overall smile. When calling our office to alert us to your problem, we will work diligently to schedule your appointment at the earliest convenience. To learn more about what you can do to avoid these types of emergencies or how to treat them at home, spend some time reviewing this page, and don’t hesitate to contact us with additional questions.
Why Choose Richardson Orthodontics for Emergency Orthodontic Care?
- Jones is a board-certified orthodontist
- Same-day appointments are available
- Patient safety and comfort are of utmost priority
What to Do in an Orthodontic Emergency
- Contact our office. If you’re experiencing an orthodontic emergency, call us right away! We’ll schedule you at the earliest appointment possible, which will likely be that same day. Over the phone, we’ll provide first aid instructions to help you manage your situation in the meantime.
- Schedule an emergency exam. During your appointment, we’ll conduct a thorough oral examination and get X-rays to identify the underlying problem. Using our findings, we’ll start working on a custom treatment plan.
- Get the care you need. Our skilled and friendly team will work quickly to get your oral health back on track! Depending on your situation, you may need to see your regular dentist for emergency treatments.
The Most Common Orthodontic Emergencies
Although it’s always good to have your orthodontist on speed dial in case of an emergency, what should you do in the meantime to manage your situation? When you call us, our team will explain what you should do to take control of the incident while you wait to reach our office. Below, you can find tips on how to handle some of the most common orthodontic emergencies.
Understanding the Cost of Orthodontic Emergencies
Since no two cases are the same, it’s impossible to know how much your emergency will cost until you come in for an exam. At Richardson Orthodontics, we’ll first need to evaluate your condition so we can recommend the appropriate treatment for your situation. During your appointment, we’ll thoroughly explain the pricing information to ensure you know exactly what to expect – no surprises here! Plus, we’ll go over your payment options and work with you to make everything as affordable as possible.
How to Prevent Orthodontic Emergencies
Knowing you have a professional who can help when faced with an ortho emergency is important; however, it’s always best to try and avoid common orthodontic injuries when possible. A few ways you can do this include:
- Maintaining good oral hygiene by brushing your teeth and flossing every day. This will prevent cavities from forming and gum disease from developing.
- Avoid eating or chewing hard, crunchy, or sticky foods that can not only cause cavities but also damage brackets and wires.
- If you engage in sports or outdoor physical activities, wear a protective mouthguard.
- Keep your regularly scheduled dental appointments to ensure your braces are in good shape and no problems or issues need to be addressed.
What Are the Best Ways to Care for Braces/Retainers at Home?
There are ways you can take care of your braces at home when faced with certain scenarios. While not all instances require a visit to the emergency orthodontist, it doesn’t hurt to call and inform our staff of a problem you cannot fix or are too concerned to address while at home.
A few things you’ll want to remember are:
- Flossing between the wire and tooth is crucial because food can become easily stuck, leading to possible cavities and tooth decay.
- If you don’t feel as if your regular toothbrush is doing the job, ask about other products that are designed for patients with braces. Specialized toothbrushes are available and will benefit your smile while wearing metal brackets and wires.
- Once you’ve reached the retainer phase of treatment, clean any food debris with your toothbrush and water. You may also want to soak it in a type of denture cleaner but be sure to rinse it well before reinserting it in your mouth.
Orthodontic Emergency FAQs
Knowing how to handle an emergency while undergoing orthodontic treatment is important. No matter the cause of your injury, being able to take the proper steps will help to minimize damage and improve your chances of successful treatment. Should you or your child experience a problem while wearing braces of any kind, or if you have questions about how to handle a particular dental injury, don’t hesitate to contact our office. To provide you with greater insight, our orthodontists Dr. Jones and Dr. Hanson, has compiled some of the most common questions asked by patients when it comes to orthodontic emergencies.
What constitutes an orthodontic emergency?
You should remember that soreness and tenderness are normal when receiving braces. It’s also a common occurrence each time a wire is tightened during a regular appointment. However, if you or your child begin to experience severe pain or discomfort that does not cease within a few days, or you have a broken or loose wire or bracket, it’s time to contact our office. The earlier you seek treatment, the greater the chances of avoiding a delay in treatment.
What should I do if an emergency occurs while I’m out of town?
Emergencies don’t just happen when you’re minutes away from your orthodontist, so if you’re traveling, make sure to google “orthodontist near me” should a problem arise. If it does, get to their office for immediate treatment but make sure to call and alert us to the situation. Once you return, we will likely want to examine your braces to ensure no further treatment is necessary.
Will insurance cover the cost of an orthodontic emergency?
This is dependent upon your individual insurance company. Because each policy is different, you will need to review your plan to determine if there are any exclusions or stipulations. If you would prefer, a member of our team will be happy to work on your behalf to help you get the answers you need. But no matter if your insurance company agrees to cover your treatment, you should never forgo emergency orthodontic assistance. Not only can you face a severe delay, but you can also encounter additional time and money spent to fix the issue.
Traditional Braces Clear Braces Self-Ligating Braces Invisalign® Clear Aligners Phase 1 Pediatric Orthodontics Adult Orthodontics Orthodontic Appliances Orthodontic Technology View Our Services